Monday, February 1, 2010

When Everything Comes Together

Yesterday the first two classes finished their miniature self-portraits, and they are marvellous. It was just really felicitous, the way the ideas just came together - the kids love them, I love them, Casey loves them. I think they are the first project that we've done that I am really, truly proud of.

Today I began working on our illustrations unit with Year 2 (they have a partial integration with the classroom unit of inquiry). I tried to apply some of the techniques and ideas we talked about in last weeks' training, by starting the lesson explaining what an illustrator is and continuing by passing out a book to each table, having them look at the illustrations and as a group tell the rest of the class about the pictures, and finally giving them their sketchbooks and having them sketch a picture to go with text I was reading. It was - I suppose, a good start, it got them thinking, but I can't help but want to dive into a "project" - this way just leaves so little to show for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment