Monday, March 1, 2010

Wrapping up

I am almost done using clay with Year One. Goody. One of my year ones just finished their houses yesterday, as I had my first sick day in five years on Thursday. The other that came in yesterday went on a little tour to see the kiln and to mix up some clay. It had the potential to be very cool, and they asked a lot of good questions, but their behavior was just not as good as it should have been. Most of the other year ones have to play catch up (I was supposed to have five classes on Thursday), so I'll only have to do it one more time. We'll see if I take Casey's advice and put together a powerpoint instead. With everything to do before the Grand Inquisition, I somehow doubt it.

The summative assessment for my illustration unit is a book cover. I had thought to have a really strong international element, providing them folk tales of different cultures to use. But I forgot that I'm not in Korea anymore, and these kids are not at the level of their counterparts in Bundang, so they couldn't read the stories. Oops. So we brainstormed stories that they DO know, and went from there.

Maybe this is bad for me to say, but I just really miss planning "follow me" lessons, where I would show the students each step and they would do the same as me, and their projects all came out looking about the same. So much of what I've done for art in PYP has come out looking terrible. I'm still trying to learn how to give them open-endedness and still stay in control of the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment