Last week I introduced a lesson where we talked about cave art. This week I reviewed what we learned, and we moved from the table to the wall. As far as actual time of production, it was quite short - the kids only got about ten or fifteen minutes to work on their drawings, and the quality is not all what I like to see in my student work. My mentor in elementary student teaching came from a graphic design background, and I've followed her philosophy quite a bit, which calls for a great degree of control when it comes to how the lesson progresses. This lesson, after discussing what sorts of images might be appropriate for a cave drawing, I kind of let them loose to draw what pleased them. The upside to this is that sometimes, they really delight you with what they come up with on their own, and this was one of those times.
The really excellent part about this lesson, though, was how enthusiastic they got about it. They REALLY loved going outside and drawing on the walls (some of them got a little too excited and as a result I have some oil pastel to go clean up), and I have a feeling that when I quiz them about this week they'll have a much better memory of it. But these lessons where the kids get into it - they are what makes this a great job.
No comments:
Post a Comment