Today I taught my first KG2 class. It could have been better, but it could have been worse. So many of the kids in the class are ESL, so it limits how much Q&A you can do in the lesson. Some of them had clearly done rubbings before; many had not. Trying to cycle through a whole class of 20 in groups of 5 was difficult, especially because I hadn't thought to bring my class list with me. Tomorrow I'll know better, I guess. On the brightside, the kids had fun and learned another art technique.
Year One's second lesson didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked - there were two boys in the class who missed last Sunday, and they had trouble with both the cutting and the folding of the project. In both the year one classes I taught, I demonstrated the "paper stretching" exercise, but the second class hadn't finished drawing their bird, so I had to finish directing them through it, and by the time they were finished there was really only enough time for them to color - I didn't even try to get them to make the birdcage. The first class I jumped into it with them...with less than wonderful results. Some of them didn't understand that they needed to stop before they cut through the other side, even though I clearly explained it to them when I was doing the paper stretching exercise with them telling me to stop. Others tried cutting the wrong direction. I tried drawing the lines on the paper for several of them, but I couldn't move fast enough, it seemed, and the class ended way too soon with me sending the kids off with roughly circular pieces of yellow construction paper. I felt like a putz. But Miss Scarlett and I are gonna put our thinking caps on and see what we can come up with before Tuesday, because tomorrow is another day, and it doesn't involve year one.
(No, it involves year two...and clay. Goody!)
No comments:
Post a Comment