It's been a day full of stories. This week in KG2 I read The Art Lesson by Tomie dePaola as a way of stimulating a discussion about art class and finished up with the students who had not had a turn. So I did that for the second time today with KG2 Orange, and it seemed to go pretty well - they were attentive and seem really excited about art - but I'm not sure how much went over their heads because they don't know enough English. I also started my paint monster project with Year One - in the first class I only got to read the story, Where the Wild Things Are because they didn't finish their birdcages last week, but the second class got to start painting. They didn't seem to understand that they could make any sort of blob or squiggle with the paintbrush, so that's something I'll have to work on some more with the upcoming classes.
I had four classes of Year Two yesterday - taught them a little bit about cave drawings, and talked about the kind of homes these were found in, what they depicted, how they were made - and it seemed to go really well with every class. Today's Year Two class just really didn't get it, though - I had one or two kids that could answer the questions, and about five that kept distracting the rest. I don't know if I was off or if the dynamic of this class just makes it harder to do this kind of lesson. Whatever the case may be, I'll teach it a final time tomorrow so I guess we'll see then.
No comments:
Post a Comment