Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Suds and Duds

Suds: For the penultimate KG2 lesson on healthy choices we learned about washing our hands. For this lesson we used our hands to make soap bubbles. Now, I would have liked to have more of an authentic link in art, but on the other hand, the kids LOVED it. Heck, the teachers loved it! And they were really enthusiastic about the colors and using their hands. I think in the future I would see if I could put down a white sheet to drip onto, that the fabric would be more durable than paper and give us a finished product. I also might use the colors to show how different colors can be mixed. Unfortunately 40 minutes is not that long a time.

Duds: I'm really not all that into this summative assessment for Year 2 - the soft sculpture. Actually, we haven't begun our sculptures yet, but the preliminary sewing practice has been rough. And I'm trying to make my lessons more experimental and letting them make more of their own decisions about where to go with it, but it's hard - probably the most challenging thing about teaching PYP art.

I don't remember what spurred this thought this morning, but I am starting to believe that the Scottish, Canadian, and whoever else does it are right to make teachers get a year or two of experience before beginning teacher college. It would be a pain in the butt, but on the other hand, a lot of the things we learned in my teacher ed classes had little meaning for me at the time. It is only after trying things out that I know what I need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment