Part two of the sewing: Meh. It took a lot for them to understand what we were doing. I mean, they're only 6 and 7 years old. The second class I taught this lesson today got shorter strings, and that helped, but it was not a simple one-off like I had planned for.
The KG1 flowers that I did last week were too teacher-intensive for the year group, so this week I did something a little more exploratory with them. We listened to music and talked about if it sounded happy, sad, or angry, about what colors we would use to depict it, whether it was fast or slow and how to show that. Then they used soft pastels to express the way the music made them feel The kids enjoyed it - they just enjoy art, period - and the teacher that had it today seemed to like it, but then, it was a classroom-generated idea. This is something I've had difficulty with this year...I don't really feel autonomous. Maybe that's just PYP - it IS all about collaboration - but I haven't felt really free to "do art." Everybody's got their finger in my pie. I'm sure it is something that I will become more comfortable with over time.
I was really stumped for today's KG2 lesson. I'm working to do integrated projects with them so that they don't miss the time for their units while I am teaching art, and the "health" unit only lends itself so far. I wanted to talk about washing our hands, then take them outside and blow soap bubbles (dyed with food coloring) onto a paper to make a sort of class project, but I didn't come up with that until 8 o'clock last night so I wasn't really prepared. Instead we talked about sleep and made sleepyheads, tearing and pasting crepe paper for their hair. It turned out to be okay, but I was dissatisfied with it because I felt like it wasn't "artsy" enough...I feel like I've been strongly encouraged to do exploratory art and cross-curricular simultaneously, and I'm not sure that they always fit into the same space. Again, something to work on.
No comments:
Post a Comment